Is it a good idea to sell during the Holidays?
There’s one question I’m often asked around this time of year: Should I wait until after the first of the year to buy or sell? Today I’ve got a few tips and suggestions to help you make the decision that’s best for you:
1. The quality of potential buyers improves greatly around the holidays. The buyers in the marketplace at this time of year are incredibly serious. They’re the type of buyers that you want walking through your home.
2. Serious buyers have more time to search. With increased time off during the holiday season, buyers use this time to search online and to view the homes that are of interest to them. The number of people searching online actually increases substantially during the holiday season.
3. There are fewer competitors. Many of your neighbors are waiting to list until after the first of the year. Lower inventory definitely gives you an advantage and it gives us the opportunity to market your home as a premium listing.
“There’s no question that homes show better during the holidays.”
4. You want to beat the rush. Once the holidays are over, we see a big increase in the number of homes on the market. As a seller, you’ll want your home to be for sale while inventory is low so you don’t get lost in the shuffle.
5. You’ll have better showings. There’s no question that homes show better during the holiday season. There’s an old saying that goes, “People buy in emotion and back up with logic.” There may be no more powerful emotions associated than those with the holiday season. From the music to the lights, to the time spent with family, the holidays are filled with a strong imagery of homes that many of us respond to powerfully. Why not use this powerful emotion to your advantage? The holidays also give you an extra advantage in appealing to the five senses.
6. Buyers are more available. It’s not uncommon for people to have time off during the holidays, making it easier for them to come out and see your home.
7. Job transfer buyers. Many companies are transferring employees around this time for positions that start at the beginning of the year. If someone is coming here and looking to buy a home, they will be ready and willing to make an offer. Sometimes they don’t need to move right away, so it gives you the opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer when you do decide to buy your new home in the spring.
How can you make these factors work to your advantage? Hire a top agent like me. A lot of agents will take this season off, but we don’t. We’re prepared to serve you at any time of year. If you have any questions for us or you are looking to take advantage of this market and sell your home, don’t hesitate to give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.